Archive for April, 2011

Dangers of Xylitol with Dogs

Monday, April 18th, 2011

Just wanted to share the dangers of Xylitol, a sweetener found in almost all sugarless gum and many low calorie products.  This substance is 100 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate.  Xylitol is rapidly absorbed into a dogs blood stream, this then lowers their blood sugar to a dangerously low level and causes insulin shock.  Next their liver is attacked and shuts down. Dogs who have ingested Xylitol just go to the vets immediately to induce vomiting and then be given charcoal.  The vet must then monitor their blood sugar levels for at least 24 hours.  I can’t stress how important it is not to wait. Just 2 pieces of gum will kill a 20 lb dog.